Thursday, June 13, 2024

Fix Your Eyes and Walk

While I was down in Florida, I found myself trying to cling to every single blessing and every sliver of hope. After spending over 30 hours in airports not knowing what would happen while I was on the other side of the country I had finally made it to see my dad. I got to see my brothers for the first time in two and a half years, I got to meet my niece Ember, and I got to witness the first few miracles God had in store for my dad. I knew I had to focus on every good moment, big or small, because the second I took my eyes off of God’s blessings I couldn’t hold myself together. I started thinking about Peter walking on the water with Jesus. In Matthew chapter 14 we read that Jesus sent His disciples ahead of Him so he could take time to pray. While the disciples were crossing the sea a huge storm surrounded them. As they struggled through the wind they suddenly saw a figure walking across the water to them. The disciples were terrified, but Jesus called out to them to not be afraid. Peter recognized and believed that it was Jesus walking to him and he called out “Lord if it truly is you, command me to come to you on the water”. Jesus replied “Come”. I know if I was in the middle of the sea during a huge storm, my last thought would be “well why don’t I just get out of the boat and walk to this figure that just appeared out of nowhere,” but Peter knew that if it was truly Jesus walking towards him that he could do the impossible. He had God in the flesh standing in front of him, arm stretched out to him, and calling him to walk. So he stepped out in faith and while his eyes were trained on Jesus he was able to do the impossible, but the second he took his eyes off of Jesus and looked at the storm around him, he began to sink. “Immediately Jesus reached out his hand, caught hold of him, and said to him, “You of little faith, why did you doubt?” Matthew‬ ‭14‬:‭31‬ Peter had a faith bold enough to step out on the water but it wasn’t sustainable when the storm did not immediately cease. So often in life we become distracted by the storms around us, we take our eyes off of God, and focus on the things of the world instead. We may be willing to take that first bold step out, but are we able to continue in faith when we are scared of our circumstances. Sometimes we step out boldly expecting God to immediately make the situation better for us. But it is only through learning that God is there, ready to pull us out of the water even when we falter that we can strengthen and grow our faith. It is when we learn to keep our focus on God that we can faithfully weather every storm. So take a bold step of faith, fix your eyes, and walk. “You will keep the mind that is dependent on you in perfect peace, for it is trusting in you.” Isaiah‬ ‭26‬:‭3‬ ‭CSB‬‬ 2 Timothy 4:7 “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.” Written by Christa Glass

2 comments:

Sam said...

Like the song goes: "Through it all my eyes are on You." Blessings Christa - great message.

Coach B said...

Thank you so much!