Monday, February 25, 2008

February 25, 2008 - Road Work

How’s your daily routine? Do you workout?

If you were preparing for a 12-round fight would you just show up and see how long you last? Of course not! You would prepare for the task.

Life is like a fight at times. We must be ready, prepared to step into the ring at any given time. We must be prepared for things physically, mentally, and spiritually.

As I was reading a John Maxwell leadership book it reminded me of an old saying: Champions don’t become champions in the ring - they are merely recognized there.

Maxwell went on to quote former heavyweight champ Joe Frazier: “You can map out a fight plan or a life plan. But when the action starts, you’re down to your reflexes. That’s where the road work shows. If you cheated on that in the dark of the morning, you’re getting found out now under the bright lights.”

I long for the day where my “road work” results in my natural reflex or response to life’s fight being one that glorifies and honors my Lord. That takes discipline - effort - training!

26 Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. 27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified. (1 Corinthians 9)

No comments: