Monday, April 21, 2008

April 21, 2008 - Sitting the Bench

Last week i wrote about the idea of "minutes played" in the "game of life." Yet as much as I long to see "players" in the game, there are times we find ourselves sitting on the bench.

I thought about this yesterday as I was watching an NBA game. The cameras scanned down the bench and it hit me that every one of the players they showed were used to being an all-star in his past basketball experience. Each player was a star at the high school and college levels. Each player has incredible skills in order to be on an NBA roster. In fact I don't believe there is a such thing as a bad player in the NBA. They can all play at a very high level.

Yet I wondered what was going through their minds. Were they frustrated while riding the pines? Were they maybe angry deep down that they weren't in the game? Were they thinking that they could do a better job than the guys on the court? Were they wondering if the coach had forgotten about them?

In life we sometimes get to feeling that way about God. We wonder if He has forgotten us. We feel all alone.

King David had feelings like this. Psalm 13 records his thoughts.

1 How long, O LORD? Will You forget me forever?
How long will You hide Your face from me?
2 How long shall I take counsel in my soul,
Having sorrow in my heart daily?
How long will my enemy be exalted over me?

Have you ever felt this way? Maybe you feel this way right now. The Psalm goes on to share David's frustrations but the ending is the key. David's conflict is resolved when he remembers that he can trust the Coach! David realizes that present circumstances do not override the greatness of what God has done for him. As a result he moves from frustration to rejoicing.

5 But I have trusted in Your mercy;
My heart shall rejoice in Your salvation.
6 I will sing to the LORD,
Because He has dealt bountifully with me.

No matter what you are going through right now you can trust that God knows what is best. If you are on the bench then God is either disciplining you for things you have done wrong, laziness, etc. - or - He realizes you simply need a rest. But one thing is for sure - He has not forgotten about you!

Try rejoicing in Him for the salvation He has given you. Try rejoicing over all He has done for you. Think upon His promises. Be ready when He calls your name to put you back in the game!

No comments: