Monday, June 23, 2008

June 23, 2008 - Get In The Game

As I sit here typing this weeks devotion, I have just removed the ice packs from my knees. That was following the tape I removed from my ankle earlier. And I will probably be in a hot shower to try to ease the tight back after I finish this. Yes the old man has been trying to play some hoops the past few weeks and my body is reminding me it is old.

My wife looks at me like I am nuts. She just doesn’t know why I would go through the pain. All I can tell her is that the pain is not the same when I am on the court. Even if I am hurting I simply love being out there. In fact it is kind of sweet when I do something good in spite of the pain (or the fact that I can barely jump anymore.)

Yes basketball is that important to me.

Before Christ left the earth He left us with two basic parts to the “game plan.” One he told us to “preach the Gospel” (evangelize.) [See Mark 16:15]

He also linked into that the command to “make disciples” of those people (discipleship.) [See Matthew 28:19-20]

Therefore, are you “on the court following the game plan”?

I truly think it boils down to a simple observation. If we are not busy evangelizing and discipling, then we simply don’t really love “the game.”

And the excuse that you feel uncomfortable or fearful or unprepared is not a decent excuse. Sometimes we even have to “play hurt.”

Paul’s secret to the Christian life was in not allowing circumstances to dictate his attitude. He realized that following Christ and His “game plan” was far superior than anything this world has to offer!

8 Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ (Philippians 3)

“Get in the game!”

No comments: