Monday, October 13, 2008

October 13, 2008 - Coaching Debut

This week's devo is submitted by Coach Torzewski. Coach T is the midwest coach for InBounds Ministries and has a great heart for ministry. Read his story and you will see he also has some boldness.

" Let me tell you about my NBA coaching debut:

I have recently been working part time for an event security company. I had the pleasure Wednesday October 8th to work the Indiana Pacers first preseason game. As I arrived to venue, I was told I would be working courtside behind the opponent’s bench, which was great, since the teams were having shoot around and fans were not to arrive for nearly 1 ½ hours. This gave me time to watch the players shoot around.

One of the opposing team’s players was getting his shots on the left side baseline about 10-15 feet from the hoop. As I watched him from 4-5 feet away, I noticed out of 20 consecutive shots, he missed 3. Now his form was nearly perfect, his balance was great and he elevated very well. While this is an outstanding percentage, the 3 shots he missed were a result of a simple fundamental habit. As he lined up to shoot, his elbow pointed out causing the flick of his wrist to follow through away from his target. His trainer/coach who was feeding him the ball never pointed this out so I said to the player “You missed only 3 shots but they were from the same thing”. He looked at me almost with amazement and said “Seriously”. I went on to explain what I observed and challenged him to shoot 10 shots holding his follow through when he was done. With that said he agreed and started his ten. He missed 2 of the 10 shots and each was for the reason I pointed out. After that he came over and thanked me for pointing that out and told his trainer/coach to help more. Our conversation lasted about 2-3 minutes talking about the elementary fundamentals that can easily get overlooked as we grow in our ability and it is always a good reminder. I apologized to him for not introducing myself and getting his name at which time he shook my hand and said “I’m Chris Paul”

Now, anyone who enjoys basketball knows of Chris PauI but I must admit that I had never seen him. I know of his accomplishments “ USA Olympic team, NBA all star, explosive game changing player” but here was this fellow athlete willing to listen to poor old me in an attempt to better his skills. The same can be said in our Christian lives. Are you open to what God says to you through others, prayer and his living word? Are you helping the others better their skills for the kingdom (are you kingdom minded)?

What we don’t see is that this basketball player was committed to improving, growing and getting better at his game, but most of the hard work is done behind the scene if you will. We don’t see the hundreds of shots a day, the running, lifting and studying of film. You will not grow in your faith without doing the behind the scenes work. Prayer, spending time in Gods word and truly being open to his plan in your life are just a few of the things we should not only do, but should desire.

I am reminded of how Peter ends his letter in 2 Peter (3:17-18) - 17)Therefore, dear friends, since you already know this, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of lawless men and fall from your secure position. 18) But grow in the GRACE and KNOWLEDGE of our Lord and Savior JESUS CHRIST.

He is warning us against false teachings but also about our growth.

How do you fair in improving your game?

In Christ,

Coach T"

No comments: