Monday, January 5, 2009

January 5, 2009 - Play Smart

As a coach I am not overly concerned with mistakes in a game. What I am concerned with are choices in a game. Let me explain.

Recently I was looking at a news blog and it was talking about a player that is in a shooting slump. The same player was being talked about in other media outlets as well. Basically his entire significance was based upon hitting shots. The funny thing was that these reporters did not mention the great defense the player was playing; or his lack of turnovers; or any other part of his game.

What I look at is very basic. Is the player making good choices? Are his shots good shots that just aren’t falling or bad shots? Every shooter goes through little slumps. There are a lot of intricate little mechanics that have to be adjusted. Yet the best way to get out of a slump is to keep shooting! Basically my philosophy is “shooters shoot”! He should not let mistakes stop him from doing his job. In this particular case the young man is taking open looks; not forcing the shots. He is making good decisions. Therefore I think he is playing great.

It really boils down to as a coach you can not go out and shoot the ball for the players. Your job is to teach them to do the right things and expect that from them. There is always tweaking that needs done on mechanics, but the mental part (good choices) is something that should always be improving.

As a dad or as a minister I am in the same boat. My job is to impart wisdom to my kids or those I teach/disciple with the hope that they will make good choices in life. Note this is not to necessarily make life easier. There will be mistakes and obstacles yet there should be a solid grasp of wisdom to handle those situations. I want them to live life to the fullest. I want them to take their “open shots.” Yet I want them to “play smart.”

Proverbs 4 puts it this way:
7 Wisdom is the principal thing;
Therefore get wisdom.
And in all your getting, get understanding.

Are you seeking wisdom and understanding? Are you taking in God’s instruction on a consistent basis? Maybe your New Year’s resolution should be to gain more wisdom from God to eliminate dumb choices – to play smart!

Read all of Proverbs 4 today. Maybe resolve to read a chapter of Proverbs each day to increase your wisdom.

No comments: