Sunday, April 12, 2009

April 13, 2009 - The Final Buzzer

We have finished March Madness with the team winning that most expected to win. From before the start of the season the “experts” were claiming that the University of North Carolina Tar Heels were a lock to be national champs. I went as far as saying that even if they didn’t go all the way that no one could convince me that they were not the most talented team in the country.

Yet with that said, I still did not have them predicted as champs when I filled out my tourney brackets. I just felt they had shown this year that they could play “flat” at times and that can bite you real quick in the tourney.

As the tournament unfolded this year I felt that the Tar Heels were fully convinced they would when. I don’t think there was a doubt in their minds. Yet as the buzzer sounded, even thought the game had been basically out of reach since the first half, the players went crazy. The fans went crazy. Victory was sweet!

This weekend I thought about that thrill of victory. As I shared with some young men about the victory we have as a result of the resurrection of our Savior – and the hopelessness we would have apart from the resurrection of our Savior.

As I was reading back through 1 Corinthians 15 the reminder of the trumpet sounding and the redeemed meeting Christ in the air made me think of that final buzzer championship feeling!

In spite of the fact that our victory is sure through Christ, it won’t diminish the incredible joy of hearing that blast. What a celebration it will be!

Are you excited about what Christ has accomplished for us? Share the championship message of Easter with someone this week. Study 1 Corinthians 15 as Paul is directed by the Holy Spirit to talk of the importance of the Gospel in verses 3-4; and then to spend time giving the assurance and hope that is found in the resurrection.

But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. (vs. 57)

No comments: