Monday, September 28, 2009

September 28, 2009 - Your toughest Competition

How hard are you training? It has been said that your toughest competition in life is anyone that is willing to work harder than you. Far too many players want to coast through; just get by on natural, innate abilities – with minimal commitment.

And I am talking about players in the game of life – God’s team. You may wonder what in the world I am talking about. Let me make it very simple and very clear.

The Scriptures talk heavily about our “training.” They tell us to study, to discipline ourselves, to sacrifice, to be ready, etc. The fact is that we live in a world that is against Christianity. And they are looking for ways to tear us down – to defeat us. They are often working harder than us to do so.

While I was in London this past summer I met some Muslims that knew the Scriptures better than most Christians. They had been studying to attack our beliefs. Throughout the media there is an attack on Christian teaching / philosophy. And the list goes on and on.

I am working on some training programs for basketball players that are striving to go to the next level. The workouts will be intense. They are intended to get the most out of the individual. [“I make my practices real hard because if a player is a quitter, I want him to quit in practice, not in a game.” Bear Bryant/Alabama]

Yet it still boils down to whether or not the player has it in his heart – if he is motivated. The question becomes “how important is this to you?”

In your Christian life I wonder how important it is to you to truly serve the Lord. It involves commitment to studying the Word and being transformed to think and live like Christ. The simple truth is that your beliefs will be “attacked” in life. Are you ready?

Psalm 119: 30 I have chosen the way of truth;
Your judgments I have laid before me.
31 I cling to Your testimonies;
O LORD, do not put me to shame!
32 I will run the course of Your commandments,
For You shall enlarge my heart.

1 comment:

CT said...

This is an awesome devotional! Thanks!