Sunday, July 25, 2010

July 26, 2010 - We Cannot Remain Silent

Tonight I went to pick up my son at a local park near where we are staying. He has been going up there in the evenings to run in some basketball games. Tonight I got out of the van to watch some 1-on-1 action taking place with the few guys that were left.

Honestly the action was not overly exciting. They all seemed to be a bit lethargic concerning strength and stamina, but quite energetic with the mouth; except for the smallest guy up there who quietly won each game I watched him play.

The thing that stood out to me was how mouthy a couple of the guys were. Even as I walked up they continued their vulgarities and their weak attempts at sounding tough. I have been around mouthy players all of my life. I have been around playgrounds and heard all the words that they can come up with. Yet most of the time when an older adult came up the teens would show a bit of restraint and respect.

I know this is not coming across as much of a devotional to this point; and more of a rant against society. Please don’t misunderstand me. I do not expect the world to talk like I expect Christians to talk. I am just making the point that the Judeo-Christian ethic of our country is almost non-existent now. (This should allow for us as Christians to stand out even more – even a more stark contrast to the world!)

As I spoke with one of the young men courtside I was asking him where he, and the others, attended school. When I asked about the loudest and most vulgar mouth of the bunch I was informed that he had just graduated from a local Christian high school.

Obviously this gives me great fuel for devotions with my own kids. I hope you will take the following things to heart.

1 Peter 2: 9 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;

Please note: We are not seen as different just because we don’t talk or act like the world; we are seen as different because we talk and act differently than the world!!!!!!!!!

It is not enough to simply stay silent; we are called to “proclaim the praises” of God!

We cannot remain silent! It is time to get loud and proud about our Savior!

No comments: