Monday, September 20, 2010

September 20, 2010 - RETRO

“Been there; done that!” There is something to be said for those with experience. Like the old saying goes, “experience is the best teacher.”

We live in a world that is always looking for new cutting edge ideas and approaches to things. Often times I hear things called “old-fashioned” just because it is the way it was done by our parents or grandparents.

I admit I am “retro” as a coach. I believe in the fundamentals of the game. I believe in hard work and selfless passion. I believe in (as John Wooden would say) the name on the front of the jersey being more important than the name on the back. I admit that I think the “old days” gave us a better picture of teamwork and commitment. (Although the retro game shorts that were worn I can do without - not the picture I like to remember.)

I remember coaches being so frustrated if a player dribbled between his legs or behind his back. There would often be a scream that we were there to play basketball, not dance! I understand that philosophy and yet I teach dribbling between the legs and behind the back; but as part of the fundamentals to get the job done – not to dance!

In other words new things are fine as long as they don’t distort the principles of old. I think styles are fine as long as they don’t replace substance. We do not need to throw out the past but should learn from it. The past is our foundational or fundamental principles to live by.

The Bible is not old-fashioned! It is absolutely relevant for today! I am all for contemporary things yet often find an absence of good “old-fashioned” truth.

I am reminded of the song the group 4Him did many years ago. It said “we need to get back to the basics of life…”

Does God’s Word play an important part in your day? Are you allowing it to transform your mind?

Psalm 119:31 gives you a simple thought on the importance of God’s Word: I cling to Your testimonies; O LORD, do not put me to shame!

I am “retro” in that I go back to the basics of God’s Word!

No comments: