Monday, October 11, 2010

October 11, 2010 - Philly Phanatic

Well we are almost through the first round of the Major League Baseball playoffs and there has been some amazing pitching going on by the Philadelphia Phillies. Their hurlers are in an amazing zone – a fanatical focus! And whenever I think of the Phillies I always think of the Phillie Phanatic! He is one of the most recognizable mascots in all of sports.

Obviously I am emphasizing the word fanatic. I think of the fans that are so sold out to their teams, even if their teams are in a losing season. Sometimes they are so devoted that they can’t even objectively watch the games. They are the fans with painted faces and team gear. They have team bumper stickers on their cars and flags flying from their car windows. They are the fans that leave no doubt where their allegiances lie.

The definition of fanatic includes the idea of extreme enthusiasm or belief.

Are you a fanatic? I am not asking about a sports team right now. I am asking if you are fanatical about Jesus?

Yesterday I heard a great message about the fanatical Apostle Paul. This guy was singularly focused on Christ. He talked about Him all the time – including when he was in prison. He left no doubt about his allegiance to Christ.

Philippians 3:12-14 says: Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

The pastor pointed out yesterday the following words: “but one thing I do.” Do you see the singular focus there?

Our allegiances are too spread out. We live in a society with not much time for Jesus. Oh we may show up for scheduled church services but does your devotion to Him lead you to talking about him throughout your days? Is it evident to others whose team you are on?

Years ago the group DC Talk used the following terms to describe a Jesus fanatic: Jesus Freak! They made the following statement in the song: “I don’t really care if they label me a Jesus Freak, there ain’t no denying the truth!”

1 comment:

Julie said...

To quote a great message I heard a week or so ago, we are to become "invisible" - NOT SILENT! as John the Baptist was (John 3:30). This is the secret to joy and peace in this life! Becoming more phanatical all the time!