Monday, November 15, 2010

November 15, 2010 - Slow Down

I was recently talking with Jason Otter. Jason is a well respected basketball clinician, especially with his work in his Point Guard Elite Camps. He told me that one of the key things he works on in these camps is teaching the guards to slow down!

I know that sounds strange I the world of athletics where speed is so highly touted. Yet a great player is one that sees the floor, reads the defense, and makes the game as easy as possible.

Just this past week I spoke with the assistant coach on my son’s team and he said the same thing. He talked about trying to get our guards to slow down and play under control. Again, this is a call to see the floor, read the defense, and make the game as easy as possible.

In our everyday lives I fear we run into the same problems. With our hectic daily schedules and often an honest desire to do great things for the Lord, we tend to commit way to many “turnovers.” God has called us to see the floor, read the defense, and make the game of life as easy as possible…

Ephesians 5: 15 See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, 16 redeeming the time, because the days are evil. 17 Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is.

Psalm 27 puts it this way:

14 Wait on the LORD; Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the LORD!

A great player has clear direction. John Wooden would say, “Be quick, but don’t hurry.” Another way I have heard this truth: “So hurry up and wait upon the Lord!” (Old Petra song called “More Power To Ya”)

No comments: