Monday, September 5, 2011

September 4, 2011 - Go TEAM!

Last week I wrote about the idea of playing on the road. I talked about loving to stand out in the crowd – in the “enemy’s” territory. I talked about the challenge my kids are having with changing from the Christian school they attended to the public school. (I talked about the stolen items, vulgar language, and simply different atmosphere they are in. Add to that the drug bust that went down a few days ago…)

In review I talked about the importance for us as a church to be willing to make a difference in the world. I concluded the devotion as follows:
“Church, my prayer is the same for you. I am thankful for the time we can be on the home court and be encouraged by other believers. Yet the season has to include “away games” if we want to be the salt and light that Jesus called us to be.
Church, stand strong and stand out!”

Since the writing of last week’s devotion, I have had many things run through my mind. I have been reminded of my job as a parent to help encourage and pray for my kids. Not only was there the drug bust at the middle school, my 1st grader hit some rough days of missing momma and missing Bible class. But the one line that hit me hardest was from my 8th grader who simply stated it would be nice to at least have one friend to go through this with.

Then it hit me. One of the reasons I loved going into the opponent’s gym was because I knew my teammates had my back and still do! (Thanks, Mark, JJ, etc.) There is a confidence when you know you are part of a team.
So this week I want to first ask you to pray for my kids that they will find “teammates” that have their backs at school. I pray the same for you – whether it be at school or at work. Yet I also remind you that those that you count as your “inner circle” of friends should have the same goals as you. It has to be someone that has your back and will build you up in Christ – not tear you down.

1 Corinthians 15: 33 Do not be deceived: “Evil company corrupts good habits.”

Christianity is meant to be a “team sport.”

Ecclesiastes 4: 9 Two are better than one,
Because they have a good reward for their labor.
10 For if they fall, one will lift up his companion.
But woe to him who is alone when he falls,
For he has no one to help him up.
11 Again, if two lie down together, they will keep warm;
But how can one be warm alone?
12 Though one may be overpowered by another, two can withstand him.
And a threefold cord is not quickly broken.

We are supposed to have one another’s backs.

Hebrews 10: 23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful. 24 And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, 25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.

Did you get that? Our faithfulness is directly linked with our team concept of working together.

Go TEAM!

1 comment:

Julie said...

The more ministry work people do together, the closer they become to one another! There is no better fellowship than Kingdom work. Thanks, Coach!