Monday, May 7, 2012

May 7, 2012 - A Great Rebounder


What makes someone a great rebounder? Is it size? Is it leaping ability? Is it faithfulness to blocking out? There could be many answers to the question; and great rebounding is a key ingredient in winning games…

When I think about great rebounders I can’t help but think about “The Worm” Dennis Rodman. This guy is only around 6’6” and holds the highest career rebounding average since 1973. He is listed on NBA.com as "arguably the best rebounding forward in NBA history".  So how did he do it? He is not truly a “big” guy when it comes to NBA standards. He was not known as a great leaper….

The thing that made him great involved “desire.” He simply wanted the ball more than everyone else.

HoopsSkills.com puts it this way (In article: Common Traits of Great Basketball Rebounders):
·         “This is something that is difficult to teach. Every good rebounder has a strong desire to get to the ball. Every good rebounder understands the importance of possessing the ball and makes it an absolute priority.”
·         “I have spent time watching several interviews with Ben Wallace and Dennis Rodman over the years. I was very interested to see how they became good at rebounding. What I was most amazed at is the amount of study and understanding they had for where the ball was going to be.
·         The greatest rebounder of all time was a man named Bill Russell and he has constantly said that the key to being the best rebounder is wanting that ball more than anyone else.

Do you see the desire these men possessed? They made getting the ball a priority in their lives!

As I was reading in Proverbs 7 today I was again hit with this reality in our Christian lives. We need to determine what things are “priorities” to us.

And let’s be honest about it when we take inventory of our lives. I often find myself crawling out of bed and being drawn to my smart phone to check scores, check emails, see if anyone commented on a Facebook posting, etc. I crawl out of bed and crave my cup of coffee. I find myself through the day longing to see if certain basketball recruits have decided on where they are going to college. I catch myself anxiously looking to see if anyone has viewed my son’s recruiting video.

Maybe you find yourself engrossed in the politics of the day. Maybe you find yourself longing to hear from a loved one. Etc….

Yet, and again let’s be honest with ourselves, do we find ourselves with the following attitudes about God and His Word: (Questions found in the beginning of Proverbs 7)
·         Do we “treasure His commands”?
·         Do we “protect His teachings””
·         Do we “write His teachings on the tablets of our hearts”?

I want the priority of my life to be to know God more! I want to think like the Psalmist in Psalm 119:24 that states that God’s word is his “delight.” I want to crave Him! I want to pursue Him! Will you join me?

No comments: