Monday, January 14, 2013

January 14, 2012 - Are You Coachable?


We are now into our 12th year of weekly sports devotions; I am sure I have hit many topics multiple times…. Yet there are just some core values that have to be in place for an athlete to be successful (physically and spiritually.) And after a couple of weeks of reminders about resolutions and standing strong in the Lord, I feel again that some fundamentals are in order…

One of the most basic, fundamental attributes I have found in being a great athlete and in being a God-honoring believer is that of being coachable. Do you trust that the coach has your best interests in mind? I have said it in preaching, I have said it in locker rooms, I have said it in my living room: “(As a minister, as a coach, as a parent) I am on your side and only have your best interests at heart!”

I was reminded again of this last night as I spoke to my over-tired, emotional 7 yr old who didn’t understand why she had to go to bed before her siblings. With tears in her eyes she explained to us how she had been going to bed early since kindergarten… I had to remind her what mommy’s and daddy’s roles are in her life; that we are responsible to look out for what is good for her. Yet then the ball is back in her court on if she is going to truly trust that.

I don’t know what you are going through this week. I know in our home there have been many things popping up lately that have been difficult. (So this devotion is for me as well as you.) But I do know this: I don’t know what the future holds but I know who holds the future!”

Today I choose to trust that God has my back! And my front! And the sides! In other words, He’s got me covered… He’s got you covered!

Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Coming soon: I plan to share with you an amazing account of God’s guiding hand in the midst of a storm; I am just waiting the confirmation of a few details and I promise you will see God actively at work in one of His children’s life! It will paint a picture of Romans 8:28 that will blow your mind!

No comments: