Monday, February 9, 2015

February 9. 2015 - My Legs Simply Did Not Work

As I climbed out of bed at 4:30am I felt pretty good (especially considering that it was 4:30 and I had returned from an 8-day trip at 3:30am the day/night before.) But I was excited to lace up the shoes and hit the hardwood for some Monday Morning MADness with the guys…

At 5:30am as the ball started bouncing I still felt decent; at 6:15am things were starting to drastically change (and yes I am that old and that out of shape.) This was the first time in a very long time that I have run full court (if you call what I did running); and there were a few times I pulled up for a jumpshot and my legs simply did not work… instead of lift off the ground I felt like they crumbled under me.

The last game we played we were down to just 7 guys and played 3v4. I was part of the team of 3 and honestly 2 of us looked like we could collapse at any moment. Our third looked at us and said, “I’ll do the running…” (And that he did; he ran his butt off and kept us in the game as we dropped the last game 18-16; playing by 1’s and 2’s.)

The reality of the morning is that even at the beginning when I felt pretty good, I am still older and not able to do many of the things I used to do on the floor. But if I am going to be out there I am going to do what I can for the team… box out and pull down some boards; make a pass to the scorer; set a solid pick (one thing this oversized body is good for.) I’m going to carry my load – do the right things; and thankfully have teammates that can pick me up on the things I can no longer do.

Galatians 6:5 says that “…each one shall bear his own load.” Verse 9 goes on to tell us to “not grow weary while doing good…” We absolutely have a responsibility to honor the Lord with our lives by “doing good”; in fact Ephesians 2:10 tells us that God has designed plays (“good works”) for us to run.

Yet the reality is that at times our teammates are tired and beaten down in this life and we need to pick them up and maybe do some of the “running” for them…

Galatians 6:2 says, “Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.” Verse 10 goes on to say, “Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith.”

Take care of business today! And find a teammate you can “pick up”! (And that may be me literally; as I am unsure I will be able to get up from my office chair and down the stairs when it is time to leave here…)


No comments: