Monday, November 2, 2015

November 2, 2015 - Showing Off Your Strength

We are in the 15th year of me writing these weekly devotions and there has only been a time or two that I have utilized someone else's writing... this week will be one of those times...

In life we come across teammates that are like-minded; in this case a dear friend from my home church that loves sports, understands grace, loves living out the Great Commission via the Great Commandment, and can tie the Playbook (Bible) in using sports themes... Enjoy this daily devotion from the Proverbs as written by Quinton "Q" Williams of LifePoint Church in Albertville Alabama (you can catch more of Q's ponderings on his blog: QCrashing.blogspot.com)

PROVERBS
November 2

“He grants a treasure of good sense to the godly.  He is their shield, protecting those who walk with integrity." Proverbs 2:7
Man I love shields. Sometimes I walk around and pretend I have a shield on my arm and sword in the other hand. When you study the Spartans, their greatest weapon was their shield.  It is the quintessential defensive tool but it can also be used as an offensive weapon. I mean look at Captain America. Shield mastery.
The shield Solomon is talking about is wisdom and the way to ensure you are protected with wisdom is integrity. In old farmer talk, “No one believes what you say unless you act like you say.” We can spout all the wisdom we like, but if we aren’t walking in integrity we are just kidding ourselves.  
I remember walking into the college weight room for the first time. I couldn’t wait to work out with the other guys and try to show off my strength.  I wanted to impress all my new teammates. As I walked in the first thing I saw was a sign hanging above the mirrors that said, “your level of greatness is determined by your level of integrity.” Our coaches went on to explain that if we were going to be great players it would happen in the weight room while no one else was watching. It would happen on the field when the crowds were gone. It would happen in our beds looking over play books.  
C.S. Lewis said, “Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”
Don’t try to carry the shield of wisdom without integrity. It won’t work. Live each day doing the right thing, even when it’s the hard thing. When we do this, wisdom falls on us and we don’t even know it. The wisest men in my life are not the richest or most “successful.” They are the men who’ve treated people right day in and day out while the crowds were gone.
Much love,
Q

No comments: