Monday, December 7, 2015

December 7, 2015 - Solid Fundamentals

It is almost funny how clearly at times the Lord confirms what I should be writing about…let me go back to where this week’s thoughts began.

Tonight as I finished coaching two 5th/6th grade games I was on the bus back home and analyzing the games. Our boys’ team had a rough go of it and it seemed to be entirely due to the need to learn the fundamentals better. They worked incredibly hard but clearly need to work on the basics of ball handling, passing, catching, shooting, boxing out… I know that sounds like I am being harsh to point out all of the fundamentals, but when the pressure comes (which the other team brought) the “fundamentals are the anchor that will hold in the storm!” (Quoting myself from our Total Player Academy clinics)

Bottom line: We all want to do well! We all want to succeed! We all want to rise above!
Truth in the bottom line: We will all face a tremendous amount of pressure in our pursuit of excellence!

 So how do we handle the pressure? We need to master the fundamentals! We need to be equipped to the point that the fundamentals are natural to us… that we are anchored to them or rooted in them.

Spiritually speaking I want to remind you that the world is full of pressure! Are you rooted and grounded in the fundamentals? Are you actively studying the Word? (I’ll even throw in a plug for the importance of intentional fundamental training to the point of considering a year or more at a Bible college… that may sound extreme to some but the reality is that this life is full of serious pressures.)

Now to why I started the devotion the way I did… As I arrived home and sat down at my computer I saw a post on a social network from one of dear friends that simply had Scripture on it. The verses were Colossians 2:6-7: As you have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, as you have been taught, abounding in it with thanksgiving.

How do you handle pressure? If you struggle may I suggest you need to get back to the fundamentals a bit more? Did you see it in the verses? Rootedestablishedas you have been taught… solid in the Word!

Are you adequately trained? Let’s make sure we are ready to face the pressure…

No comments: