Monday, July 18, 2016

July 18, 2016 - Direct Correlation of Injury and Fatigue

Last week I wrote about and celebrated the fundamentals of Tim Duncan as he retired from 19 yrs. in the NBA… Very few last that long in “The League” with an average of just 4.8 years NBA-life. Part of the secret to longevity is the fact that Tim based his game on fundamentals, which will serve a player even with the athleticism is fading. (Coach Burden: “Fundamentals are the anchor that will hold in the storm.”) But I believe there is another reason that Tim had such a successful and long tenure… proper rest!

NBA commissioner Adam Silver was quoted as saying, “the number one correlation between play and injuries is fatigue.” In an ESPN article I was reading it noted that Duncan was not in the top 25 of minutes played since the 2002-2003 season; and that “the Spurs monitored his playing time obsessively, even incurring $250,000 fines if it meant giving their franchise player the rest he needed.” (Kevin Arnovitz, ESPN Staff Writer)

I am coming off of a couple weeks of Sabbatical, and a summer that has not been as ministry-heavy as in the past on travel. To be honest there have been some of those days that I have felt very antsy, like I needed to “get back on the court” and be busy. Yet I know that longevity requires being wise with “minutes played.” I know that rest will help me avoid the “injuries” of poor decision making and burnout.
 
In just a few weeks I will turn 50, will begin my 30th year of ministry, and have begun my 10th year full-time with InBounds Ministries… and Lord-willing there is a lot more to come. (We just hope the “fans” [supporters] understand the times we have to “sit out a game.”)

Make sure you are taking time to rest with a weekly sabbatical and also some planned breaks from “the game.”

Hebrews 4:9-10 There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. For he has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His.

Mark 2:27 And He said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.”

Psalm 127:2 …For so He gives His beloved sleep.
                       …Don’t you know He enjoys giving rest to those He loves? (The Message)

This week’s devotion has a twofold purpose: 1. To encourage each of you to rest… 2. To ease the false-guilt I feel when I take a break…

No comments: