Monday, October 30, 2017

October 30, 2017 - Get It and Get Better!


I am thinking this week’s devo will be short… (of course I start out writing sometimes with that thought and it seems to stretch...) But just a very basic thought for us to remember…



Before I get to the point I will share how it relates in my wide world of sports I live in. If I rewind the clock about 10 years I find myself on the sidelines coaching varsity high school basketball; and I had a sweet little run of getting to coach for and against some great talent. Yet the Lord opened doors for our ministry to start utilizing basketball as a platform for outreach and I found myself doing camps, clinics, Blacktop Clubs, etc.; I literally went from coaching some great college-bound athletes to our first clinic at a church which had as young as 5 yr olds on the court…



And now I start another season on the sidelines coaching middle school girls, I am reminded of what a joy it is to coach at any level… but the extra satisfaction that comes from teaching and developing young talent. At this level there is a wide span of athletic ability, motor skills, and game IQ. And the satisfaction comes not from what happens on the scoreboard but more in what happens in development. I love watching as kids “get it” in their individual and team understanding.



This came to mind as I was going through some notes I had taken when listening to Dr David Jeremiah teach. He was talking about what “Salvation” entails. He brought out the fact that there is positional, practical, and permanent salvation: or the fact that we are saved unto eternal life at the point of faith; then daily living out that salvation via the growth in our lives; and ultimately saved in being made in the likeness of Christ…



We are currently, if believers, in the practical stage; this being where God is working/developing us in life. I love the promise of Philippians 1: 6 being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ;



I am so thankful that I am secure in Christ! I will be with Him one day! But until that day comes, I long to be developed as a “player!” I just told my basketball team that they should each have a goal of never leaving a practice without being better… and what if they just improved 1% each day? They could be 100% better in just 100 practices… What if we decided to “get better” each day spiritually? What if we could continually “get it” just a bit more?



John Wooden said it this way: “Make each day your masterpiece.”



Here is a cool way in which Dr. Jeremiah shared this truth: “God finds us messy, muddy, and singing out of tune… Let God be the choir director.”

No comments: