Sunday, May 13, 2018

May 14, 2018 - Serve the Team


Planning on this week’s devo being short and sweet… (of course I said that I was going to make a message quick this morning in the pulpit… and that didn’t happen); but I have to get up at 3:45am to get ready to leave for a school trip. The text that jumped out at me from this morning’s message is what truly is very short and to the point… but I will get to that in a moment. 

As a coach I have always loved the players that were willing to do the things that don’t always show up in the box score or the news… the players that simply do their jobs to serve the team! They may not be in the limelight, but they are faithful; even though at times may be taken for granted…

With celebrating Mothers’ Day, I was thinking of the faithfulness of moms… how they day in and day out serve the family; even though they may at times be taken for granted…

My point in the message was that the servant-hearts of moms is because they are created in the image of God… and God is a servant… to the point of taking on flesh to serve us to the point of death on a cross…

Ephesians 5:1 tells us to be “imitators of God” and in verse 2 it describes what that looks like, “And walk in love, as Christ has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet smelling aroma.

Our faithfulness should be in the act of serving others as Christ did! Far too often we view Christian faithfulness as being steadfast in avoiding bad things… but I believe it is about being steadfast to serve…

I love the picture of a mom we get in Mark 1… it is Simon’s mother-in-law, and she is said to be sick with a fever and unable to get up; verse 31 records that Jesus healed her “and she served them.

That is all that is said about her… she served! No fanfare, no spotlight… simply did the right thing because it was the right thing to do for the team!

Be a team player this week… look to be intentional in service!

No comments: