Monday, October 15, 2018

October 15, 2018 - No Give-up-ers (People Quit Too Easy!)


Last week I wrote about the “process” being more important than one’s temporal instant gratification… yet, the reality is that we live in what I have labeled in the past a “Burger King – microwave” world… have it your way now…



“Winning games, titles and championships isn't all it's cracked up to be, but getting there, the journey, is a lot more than it's cracked up to be.” John Wooden



Even when we read the great stories of the Scriptures we tend to think as though everything happened quickly, forgetting how often these events lasted many years…



I guess my mind is on the journey for a few reasons. Often in the sports world we pay attention to players’ careers (especially old players that we hope will finish strong); but then I also spent the weekend at a college reunion which got me looking back over the journey; and most importantly tomorrow is mine and Lisa’s 25th wedding anniversary… and what a journey!



So, this week I am honoring “the journey” with a simple reminder to all of us to:



In the words of Jimmy V (Valvano), “don’t give up, don’t ever give up!” Focus on the journey more than the results… trust the process… in your ministries and in your relationships (with God and others.)



Last week’s devo shared verses from Psalm 119:1-8; verse 5 says, “Oh, that my steps might be steady, keeping to the course You set.” (The Message)



Remember, God has plans for you (Jeremiah 29:11) and wants to use you (Ephesians 2:10). I will go as far as stating that the only way to be happy/blessed is to have a Jimmy V attitude… Psalm 1 states that a blessed man is one that is “planted” like a tree… but the wicked are blown away like chaff… they’re quitters… give-up-ers…



If you do things the right way, the way God says to do them, you will find peace and security in the journey (instead of the chaos and uncertainty of ignoring the Coach.) John Wooden said it this way: “Joy makes the longest journey too short.”



I do love serving the Lord… (and a side note in honor of loving my wife… the journey is too short… a lifetime is not long enough to love you!)

No comments: