Monday, December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018 - Being Offensive Without Committing Offensive Fouls


I often spend time in these weekly blogs with challenges to be more offensive (looking to score), while not being offensive (rude and unloving.) Yet I realized following last week’s devotion that sometimes it is easy for a coach to say things that the players simply are not fully equipped to carry out… telling a player to score means nothing if the player doesn’t know how to get in position to shoot!



In basketball I spend a lot of time not only teaching the basics of shooting the ball, but also in teaching players how to get open for the shot… how to make reads. For instance…



…if a player has ball in hand, I may show him how to feign relaxing and when the defender starts to come up out of the defensive position to then blow by…



…if a shooter has a defender on her I will teach if the defender’s hand is down let it fly… if it is up blow by…



…if a player is off-ball and the defender is trying to deny him the pass… if the defender stays between him and the basket then pop out for the past… but if the defender over-denies and steps past the shoulder to cut back door…



I realize this is gibberish to non-basketball folks reading this, but I think we all get the point that there are ways to be much more effective in getting good shots. And last week I encouraged to be taking shots by sharing the Gospel. So, this week I thought I would give a simple tip on the how-to’s of sharing… of being offensive without being offensive.



I mentioned holiday greetings in the previous devotion and those seem to get a lot of attention on social media; for instance, I often read things like “it is not happy holidays, it is merry Christmas!!!” – or – “keep Christ in Christmas!!!” (And I emphasize the exclamation points!!!)



Quick questions, (and remember my goal is to help us get open for good shots), why do we expect the world to put Christ in anything? When the world gives their greetings, are they being rude or nice? The way we come across sometimes is like we are saying, “How dare you say Happy Holidays to me!” When, to wish someone happiness during the holy-days is a pretty nice sentiment. And even if it is as crazy as “Mery Xmas”, at least they are wishing merriment…



If our responses to folks are abrasive and demanding of our rights, we have already gone against the example of our Savior who laid down His rights; and we have committed an “offensive foul” by trying to run through the defender instead of getting an open shot…



What if instead we said something like, “thank you so much, and Happy Holidays to you too! I love this time of year. What is your favorite of the holidays? Mine is Christmas… the promise of joy and peace… it blows my mind that God would come to earth… do you know why He did that?” And you can get into a great Gospel conversation.



Or maybe you see the Merry Xmas sign… what if you asked, “hey what does the X mean to you?” And then follow it up by solving for the variable? (Every CHRISTmas I like to mention this point to make my math friends happy!)



Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one” Colossians 4:6


Burden translation: Be offensive without committing an offensive foul! Take good shots!

No comments: