Monday, February 18, 2019

February 18, 2019 - Favorite Coach / Teacher


I often find myself quoting (when preaching or writing theses devotions) the late John Wooden. The reason I do, is not just because of the success he had on the hardwood as a coach and player, but more importantly to garner life wisdom from him. It goes way beyond the All-America status he attained as a player… way beyond the 10 national championships he attained as a coach… it is the lasting impact he made in the lives of his players! I guess you could say I am more moved by John Wooden the teacher than John Wooden the basketball coach…



I see the same type of commitment in church circles to certain teachers that are in the public eye… and I am all for finding solid teachers to learn from; yet, I also find that we can start to lean toward looking to those teachers as the authority instead of the actual Author of the Word!



Typically, when I find myself in a Scriptural debate, I hear things like, “Well so-and-so says…” Again, I am not opposed to that unless the person can’t tell me what the Scripture says. (Years ago, I had a seminary-trained pastor debating the Gospel with me; in the debate I asked him numerous times where he found his points in Scripture… and over and over he failed to give a Scriptural reference.)



I go to many John Wooden books and quotes when I am teaching in the basketball world… I get straight to the trusted source… let’s make sure when it comes to our Biblical stances in life that we go directly to the source!



Psalm 119:33 Teach me, O Lord, the way of Your statutes, and I shall keep it to the end. 34 Give me understanding, and I shall keep your law; indeed, I shall observe it with my whole heart. 35 Make me walk in the path of your commandments, for I delight in it.



Acts 17:11 …they received the word (teachings) with all readiness (listened to teachers) AND searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so.



Teachers are great BUT make sure you always go to the source!

No comments: