Monday, August 12, 2019

August 12, 2019 - I Even Loved Going To Practice!


When I was still playing ball I always loved going to practice, and of course to games; and that included any sport I was in. I just loved the thrill of getting better… the thrill of competing. Despite the hard work that was put in… despite times things weren’t going well… I didn’t dread it… I looked forward to it.


There is an old saying that I have heard many times, “Find a job you love, and you won’t work a day in your life.” That is a fine sentiment, and I understand it… yet the reality is that work is not always pleasant… things at times go wrong… somedays you just don’t feel like being there.


I read a different line when I looked up the previous old saying… it was on a site called worklifebalance.com and it said: “Much has been touted about how important it is to find a job you love… But you don’t have to love, or even like your overall job to enjoy everyday aspects of it. It is critical to distinguish between the job and the way you do it. This is important because every job has aspects that will be unpleasant for you.”


I love that perspective but would add to it that it is not just “the way you do it” but also the why.


My dad worked 37 years in a factory not because of his love for that concrete jungle but because he was motivated to provide for our family and the old belief that it a job didn’t have to be something you loved but something to help you honor those you love.


It is truly a Biblical concept. Our work should be excellent because of the why… I loved sports; therefore, I enjoyed the work! Note, I didn’t say I always loved the work.


For the believer we should be great workers… everything we do should be motivated by our love for God… to honor Him! 


Colossians 3:23-24 And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men… for you serve the Lord Christ.”


I wrote about this a few years back when I coined the phrase “Do Worthy Work!” for a basketball team I was coaching. The job might be tough right now… the start of school may be tough right now… relationships may be tough right now… BUT you will be motivated to stay the course and to excel when you remember that you are doing it unto the Lord!

No comments: