Monday, October 21, 2019

October 21, 2019 - You're Not A Shooter

As I was prepping for this week’s devotion, I was reminded of a great scene I witnessed years ago at a high school basketball open gym… it is one I am almost certain I have mentioned in a past weekly post, but it is worth repeating. (Have posted well over 900 of these weekly devos, so I’m sure there have been many repeat stories…)


I was in the gym with my dear friend Coach Mike Gurley; Mike is a GREAT coach that gets the most out of his players! On this particular occasion there was a young man that was a stud football player… strong and fast! He got the ball and used his speed to get to an open lay-up. Gurley applauded and yelled to the young man what a good play it was; then followed it up by reminding the player that he is out there for his speed and defense… that he could shoot lay-ups when they were available… and then reminded him that he was not allowed to shoot outside shots because he simply wasn’t good at them… and if he did he would be benched. I know that some of you are right now thinking that seems harsh and that the kid was probably devastated and would never want to play again…


Yet the reality is that players want to play for Coach Gurley and are faithful to do their jobs within their giftings as the coach sees fit. You see, after telling the player those things, Coach Gurley followed it up with, “But I love you though!” Everyone chuckled a bit, but everyone also trusts that Coach is on their side!


I thought about that story, which happened probably 7 or 8 years ago, because I was thinking about “players” in life being faithful to the task before them. It came up last weekend as we were ministering in Daytona Beach at a church. One our young guys in Next Man Up (our worship team) mentioned how thankful he was to meet John, one of my dear friends at the church where we were serving. He mentioned that he noticed how faithful John was to serve and make things happen. He saw John doing a lot of stuff that wouldn’t show up in the “box score.”


That was followed by this past weekend serving at a church in Tampa, where my wife made note of a young man that reminded her of her dad. This was because she was hearing all the stuff the young man was doing at the church… hearing of his faithfulness to his calling. The young man’s name is Jesse and he and his wife serve leading youth, directing music, taking care of broken stuff, leading/organizing special events, etc. Believe me, when my wife puts someone on par with her daddy, that is BIG!

As I was studying in Romans 12 there is a section about the team... the body… playing one’s role… here are some of the things I was taking note of in that study:


Vs 3 – tells us to think clearly about ourselves and especially the “measure of faith” that was “dealt” to us… the Greek word for faith is Pistis, and is often translated as faith or belief, but also carries the idea of faithfulness, which makes a lot of sense in context with the idea of being faithful to the role the Coach (God) is putting us in…


Vs 4 – states we don’t all have the same function or office… we are given different roles


Vs 5 – reminds us that we have different gifts to help us fulfil those different roles


Bottom line is that God reminds us often that He loves us; in turn let’s be faithful to do our jobs and serve the team (the church)! This section reminding us to be faithful is immediately in context of explaining what is the “good and acceptable and perfect will of God.” (See vs 2)

No comments: