Monday, May 18, 2020

May 18, 2020 - Dropping Gospel Dimes


Man do I love thinking back about my playing days… being out on the basketball court is what I think about most of the time. What is interesting is what I tend to think back on…

When I was still in high school, I was definitely more of a scorer… I’d like to think I was a well-rounded player and not a ball-hog, but I’m not sure my former teammates would see it that way. But as I grew a bit older, I found that the things I loved about the game changed; maybe it was just that I started maturing a little bit and understanding more about the game.

What I think most fondly about from when I was playing is not the scoring I did, but instead the “dimes I dropped.” If you are not into basketball that doesn’t make much sense to you, but a “dime” is slang for an assist…. so, to “drop a dime” meant to make a pass that led to one’s teammate actually scoring the bucket. I was pretty good at putting the ball in the basket but found that I was really good at putting the ball in the right place for my teammates to find success.

I guess I should get to the devotional point of this (even though I would love to reminisce more about the glory days.) This past week I was hosting a Zoom meeting with some youth leaders from around the country talking about the current state of ministry and how we will go about “re-igniting” ministry as the quarantine lifts. 

As I prepared my notes I came back to a message I have been sharing recently that simply states that grace is not only our hope for salvation, but also our motivation for sanctification. This fit in because I believe that grace is the best thing to not only ignite fires… but to re-ignite fires… and to maintain fires! And while I was preparing my notes, I wrote this: Grace is best served! (Figuratively and Literally)

My quick explanation of this is:

Grace (the Gospel) is a gift… a demonstration and extension of God’s love… to man while man is yet a sinner. Our presentation of the Gospel to the loss is “best served” in that we should offer it as a gift in love…

Grace is also most effective when it is “served” literally. Sharing food with a hungry man is not enough… a man can still go to Hell on a full stomach! But the reality is that it is easier to listen to the Gospel when one’s stomach isn’t growling! So literal serving is also a great way to share grace.

I want my life to characterized by putting (serving) the Gospel in the right place for the lost to find the success of faith in Christ… Dropping Gospel Dimes!

For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a SERVANT to all, that I might win the more. (1 Corinthians 9:19)

No comments: