Monday, June 15, 2020

June 15, 2020 - Sacrificing For The Team

The past couple of weeks I have attempted to “stir up love and god works” (Hebrews 10:24) in the midst of these trying times. This week I want to be a bit more direct and ask us each to examine ourselves… our feelings… our motives… what hills we are willing to die on… YET maybe more importantly what we are willing to sacrifice?

I love players that are committed to getting better… YET more importantly those that are committed to making the team better. Often times when the Scriptures talk of the “new man”, they are referring to the new team or body of Christ that is made up from many tribes… with one purpose… “playing the game” of life under the banner of Christ!

Yesterday I watched a short video on Julius Erving that highlighted how good he was… (he was my favorite player growing up and I still fly a couple of Dr. J posters…) What jumped out at me was how incredible his stats were in the ABA, but then they dropped a little going to the NBA. One train of thought could be that the NBA was just a harder league; YET “The Doctor” showed he could get those stats whenever needed… YET he had an all-star caliber teammate (George McGinnis) that was also a big stat guy and Julius was willing to share the wealth. (I got the pleasure of seeing that team live against the Indiana Pacers.)  Later on, the team had yet another great player (Moses Malone) that helped them reel in an NBA championship, again with Dr. J willingly sacrificing a bit.

When I am looking at social media I see (“hear”) a lot of squawking about everyone’s rights and opinions. Can I encourage everyone to have a “YET” moment this week?

YIELD to EXAMINE that you are TEAM-oriented… focused on the goals of the team more than your own “stat-line”… focused on fulfilling the Great Commission (Matthew 28:18-20; Mark 16:15) via the Great Commandment (Matthew 22:37-40) according to the Great Game Plan (Acts 1:8)!

I intentionally used the word “squawking” as I did see a really nice post from Missionary Flights International, where the guys were checking on a “squawk.” That is something with the plane that is typically minor, but of left unchecked can become very major.  They reminded us to see if we “have any squawks to assess?”

They then gave a great Scriptural reminder for doing this: Search me, Oh God, and know my heart; try me an know my thoughts; and see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. (Psalm 139:23-24)

And while you’re at it… ask Him to search your social media, etc for any “squawks”…

No comments: