Monday, November 2, 2020

November 2, 2020 - Elections (Try-outs)

Well here we are facing another Election Day… faced with choices… much like in coaching when holding tryouts…

Back in the day, when there was a such things as “cuts” in try-outs, it was a coaching staff’s duty to evaluate players and determine who would make the team. It is still true in determining who to draft… or who to offer a scholarship to. 

Over the years I have shared stories of these things in our weekly devotions… 

I remember sharing about one of my personal college try-outs when I simply didn’t perform the way the coach was hoping; I tried to show my passing skills and he was looking for a scorer…

I remember sharing about a college try-out where I played incredible, only to find that the coach only had 1 scholarship to offer and he needed a “Big” not a guard…

I’ve written about a hero of mine, Tony Dungy, where he had a DNDC policy… Do Not Draft due to Character issues…

All of these scenarios have something in common… not measuring up! They are legitimate ways to determine an athletic team… and even a political election… as we evaluate candidates based upon their performance, based upon what we think the “team” needs, and even based upon what we perceive in their character. 

Well if you are reading this because you think I was going to all the sudden become political in these posts, you were wrong. I am writing this week’s devotion to CELEBRATE how God determined who would be on His team… our VICTORY party!

In eternity past God, who is All-Knowing, looked into the future of His creation and saw the Fall of mankind… He saw that all humans would “fall short” (Romans 3:23) in conduct and character… none would measure up…

Therefore, He made the plan to put on a Team Human uniform/flesh (John 1:14) and “play a perfect game” on earth… thus qualifying as a Substitute for fallen man. When Jesus hung on the cross, it was in our stead… when He rose again it was an offer to be on God’s team!

For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him! (2 Corinthians 5:21)

God, looking at humanity, found no one worthy, so in turn decided He would choose those that would put their faith in the finished work of Christ… God chose not the biggest, brightest, or best… He chose BELIEVERS for His team! (I’m not qualified to make the cut… BUT Jesus is!!!)

I’m not flying banners in this devotion for a political candidate… but CELEBRATING VICTORY IN JESUS!

For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes… (Romans 1:16)

No comments: