Monday, February 1, 2021

February 1, 2021 - Better than me...

As of late we have been given opportunities to boost our athletic training portion of the ministry… the Total Player Academy. That, coupled with the opportunity to work with another academy… work some with my daughter’s team… etc.…, has got my mind questioning the purpose of training… the purpose of getting better… 

The most obvious answer to those questions, is for success on the court/field. Our academy motto is “get schooled now so… you won’t get schooled later!” Yet, a major part of training properly and succeeding is rooted in proper motivation and perspective.

For time sake let me sum this up before we look at the Biblical component of this. Athletics are typically evaluated by comparisons… comparisons of who scored the most… who had the most wins… who runs the fastest… jumps the highest… throws the hardest… etc.

And I have used some of the great motivational lines in the past… “There’s someone out there working harder than you…” “Everyone has the will to win, but few the will to prepare to win…” etc. The problem with those sentiments is they are hypotheticals; probably a much stronger motivator is the guy or gal that just kicked your butt…

So, I penned a new maxim recently that goes along with our training philosophy in athletics (and in life): If your are better than me, then obviously the only way I can beat you is if I get better than me!”

That is not a typo! We need to get to a point that we evaluate based upon each day seeing improvement personally. If a player leaves the gym the same as he went in (content), then he has failed. The key is personal examination… Strengths? Weaknesses?

The Scriptures give the same mandate in Galatians 6. I love the way The Message paraphrase shares verses 4-5: “Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don’t be impressed with yourself. Don’t compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life.”

And ultimately, whether it be athletics, academics, work, whatever… the best motivation for being the best me I can be is honoring the Lord! Colossians 3:22-25 (The Message)

“Servants (team members, students, employees, family members),... don’t just do the minimum that will get you by. Do your best. Work from the heart for your real Master, for God… Keep in mind that the ultimate Master you’re serving is Christ. The sullen servant that does shoddy work will be held responsible. Being a follower of Jesus doesn’t cover up bad work.”

Next week I plan to point out another great reminder from the passage in Galatians…

No comments: