Monday, July 19, 2021

July 19, 2021 - Shortcuts lead to Short-Term Success

It would take too long to type out how busy we have been the past few weeks… and even now I am in my office after a full day with a group staying with us for a residential hoops/leadership training camp. So now, I am trying to get my weekly duties for InBounds taken care of… including this week’s devotion. 

My insanely busy schedule has me tired and this week’s devotional offering comes from a reminder I received while starting to go through John Wooden’s Pyramid of Success with the players. I try to live out the first building block of The Pyramid… the one of Industriousness (Hard Work.) Wooden states, “There is no substitute for work. Worthwhile results come from hard work and careful planning.”

This week’s camp, yesterday’s sermons I preached, last week’s lesson I taught at a conference, the basketball camp I ran I ran the week before that… all involved a large amount of hard work and a HUGE amount of careful planning. And honestly, when I am sitting still, feeling so exhausted, and at times overwhelmed, the question becomes “Why”?

I think Wooden’s quote gives the answer… Why? Worthwhile results! We all want to be successful in our goals, and there are not shortcuts to that… shortcuts tend to lead to short-term “success.”

The Scriptures say is very clear… I love the Proverbs and the consistent reminders of the benefits of hard work and planning, and the consistent warnings of the results of laziness.

Proverbs 21: 5 says, “the plans of the diligent lead surely to plenty; but those of everyone who is hasty, surely to poverty.”

[“Careful planning puts you ahead in the long run; hurry and scurry put you farther behind.” (Prov 21:5 The Message)]

So, what are you striving for in life? Are you carefully planning? Are you faithfully executing those plans? 

No comments: