Monday, August 9, 2021

August 9, 2021 - Leaders Learn (Title somewhat stolen from my dear friend Coach Todd James)

Today brought numerous reminders of the same basic truth that I want to share for this week… I was speaking at a teacher orientation for a Christian school on how a Biblical Worldview should change the campus culture… I have spoken on this before but loved digging further into some research 

In the classroom we wonder how the kids are receiving instruction…; In the workplace we discuss moral… if it is a good place to work…; and we could go on asking questions of any environment we find ourselves in… which in essence is asking if it is a good culture.

In the sports world we often hear about team culture… about what sets apart a program for excellence (or the adverse of where a program went wrong.) I always am interested in how the players view the coach…

There are many things we could jump into this week from these thoughts, but the main thing that has jumped out today (in things I have read… in discussions I have had with friends about places they are serving…, etc.) involves a challenge to leaders… BE LEARNERS!

My good friend Todd James sends out devotions and updates at different times in the week… he is a missionary that serves in, and utilizes a basketball platform in, Ireland… and he, like me, loves Coach Wooden. So, each week I get reminded through his messages of Wooden’s wisdom… and Wooden said, “When you're done learning you're done!” (And I think anyone would agree that he was an expert on developing a winning culture.)

As I talked to a friend a few minutes ago, I was sharing that a strong leader has to be honest about himself… learning what God says about him… and learning from what others see in him (things that may be a personal blind spot.)

As I talked to the staff at the Christian school today, I reminded them that even our discipline should be based upon learning about the student… the why is often more important than the what… in order discipline for growth… for reaching desired outcomes.

The other area I have been researching heavily the last few days involves our deep need for God and for others… which REQUIRES a deep need to learn more from the Word, and from taking an intentional interest in others. To steal Coach James’s headline today: LEADERS ARE LEARNERS!

Proverbs 12: 1 Whoever loves instruction/discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid.

No comments: