Monday, September 6, 2021

September 6, 2021 - In The Race For Lost Souls

As I sent some time today preparing for a devotion I get to share tomorrow at an FCA meeting… I was reminded of a very basic truth that needs to challenge us… I’ll get to that shortly… 

I love that I get to utilize the sports platform to proclaim God’s truth! Tomorrow it is an FCA meeting… in a few weeks I get to share on Sports Missions at the Free Grace Alliance International Conference… I weekly train some young men in hoops, while mixing in devotions… I get to share these weekly devotions from a sports platform… etc. I also love the Scriptures have so many athletic references!

As I started my notes for tomorrow, I found myself in a familiar passage, 1 Corinthians 9 where Paul talks of “winning” people to the Lord… in fact he shares that his entire approach to life is that he might “by all means save some… all for the sake of the Gospel.” (vss. 22-23)

I plan tomorrow morning to use this passage as the backdrop of my testimony as to why and how we can use sports “for the Gospel’s sake...” Yet, then in my studies, while reading a verse that I have taught many-many times, is an incredible challenge!

Before I share this challenge, let me ask you… has there been a time where you accepted Christ as your Substitute… where you put your trust (faith) in His finished work on your behalf? Christ’s death and resurrection not only paid the price for your sin, but also gave you eternal life… this life began when you believed in Him… and it granted you a place in God’s family… on His team… in His race! (See Ephesians 2:19)

And in 1 Corinthians 9:24 Paul asks a very simple question: “Do you not know that those in a race all run…” He then goes on to challenge us on the fact that we should be committed to win… But win what? 

In this passage, Paul has already expressed clearly the goal… the mission… win people! Live for the Gospel’s sake!

If you are a believer and reading this, YOU ARE IN THE RACE FOR LOST SOULS… how are you running? Is the Gospel a priority in your life? Note: I didn’t ask if you are thankful for the Gospel… I asked if it is a priority… where you are actively trying to win people?

No comments: