Monday, November 22, 2021

November 22, 2021 - It's About the Team Not the Scoreboard

I’ve watched quite a few basketball games recently, and one thing that has really stuck out to me, (maybe because I am working some much with our church life groups), is the demeanor of the players. With some of the teams you can see that they love being on the court together… others not so much. 

In one recent game my wife looked at me and asked why it appeared that the team that lost seemed happier than the team that won? I thought it was quite interesting that a team showed that the joy is in the playing of the game together… the journey… not just in what a scoreboard says. I also had noticed that throughout the game, the team that lost was more encouraging to one another… more apt to help one another off the floor… etc.

You may be thinking, yeah but they lost… and if we judge success by the scoreboard that is true. But the game, like life, is not always going to go our way. Sometimes we play poorly… or are weak… or the ball just doesn’t bounce the right way… or simply the other team is more talented.

What if we viewed our life as believers (being on God’s team) together in this way? What if we just simply bought into the idea that winning or losing, we are going to enjoy “the game” together?

One thing I often told my teams is that the scoreboard turns off very quickly after a game… therefore build things that last beyond the timer!

I often bring up the passage in Hebrews 10:24-25 that tells us to be with the team… to “not forsake the assembling of ourselves together…” Yet we are told not just to “take the court together” and not just to play our part… BUT to do the things that losing team was doing the other night… “considering one another in order to stir up love and good works… exhorting one another.”

I know I have written about this topic recently, BUT want to remind you that this concept involves INTENTIONALITY… “considering” your teammates. Make a plan now to encourage someone and lift him/her up!

It’s about the team, not the scoreboard!

No comments: