Monday, February 7, 2022

February 7, 2022 - D up! Mark him! Build your coaching tree!

This week’s devo will have some familiar feel to it with past game plans I have shared on here… yet it is a subject that is fresh on my mind and dear to my heart. Recently I was sitting in an interview for a part-time gig that will enhance our InBounds local outreach. It was a great time of discussing some ideas for stewarding a property for ministry, and during that discussion I was asked about my  willingness to work with leaders at churches that have smaller groups or limited funds to have full time guys in place… or maybe inexperienced folks in leadership… 

I just about came out of my seat with excitement on responding very simply that I am truly more concerned with my “coaching tree” than how many events I speak at, etc. Don’t get me wrong I love speaking at churches/events and getting to share the Gospel and the Playbook! BUT I really love coaching coaches…

So, what do I mean by “coaching tree”? Basically, that is the folks that have served under one’s tutelage and then gone on to lead and have people serve under their tutelage… For example, Larry Brown was a successful college and pro basketball coach when it comes to wins and losses, BUT if you look at his 5 years when he was the head coach at the University of Kansas, he had assistants like John Calipari, Bill Self, Greg Popovich, Mark Turgeon, Alvin Gentry, and Tim Jankovich… this list is just during those 5 years… a list of Hall of Fame caliber coaches. One article I read about that coaching tree stated that it was no wonder the Jayhawks won a national championship during that time. I believe that happened because Coach Brown intentionally found guys he could groom to carry on the work effectively.

We love to use the word discipleship in our Christian circles, and that can refer to anything from having a weekly Bible study with a group, to very intentional 1v1 opportunities that develop. Biblically I believe we are commanded to find those 1v1 coaching tree relationships… folks to be our assistants with the goal of them being head coaches.

2 Timothy 2:2 And these things that you have heard from me among many witnesses, COMMIT these to faithful men who will be able to TEACH OTHERS ALSO.

Do you see the intentionality of developing coaches/teachers? So, when this old coach yells “D Up!”, I am encouraging you to find someone and truly disciple with intentionality… or, another way we yell it in the sports world… “Mark him!”

Build your coaching tree!

No comments: