Monday, June 27, 2022

June 27, 2022 - The Secret to Success

This week’s “game plan” is a very simple one on how to get better! 

Recently I have been working on our ministry plans, including the time I spend using basketball training as a discipleship tool. Things I am constantly sharing with students concern how to get better… how to stay motivated… how to reach goals… etc. So much of growth and improvement hinges on perspective, whether it be on the court or in life!

I do believe that there is great wisdom in planning and goal setting, BUT they are subject to so many unforeseen factors… i.e., illness/injuries… emergencies… equipment breakdowns… etc. Planning and goal setting give us a great map to aim for, yet, as I tell all my ministry trainees/partners, the number one rule is to “be dogmatically committed to flexibility!”

I also believe it is important to look at others that are doing what you are doing and have achieved success; it gives one a benchmark. Yet that too is an ineffective tool by itself. It does not take into account the other’s genetic gifts… access to training equipment… lack of illness/injury circumstances/factors that affect his/her growth and ability.

So, don’t hear me wrong, I believe in those things, BUT I don’t consider them the secret to success. I believe the secret of success lies in what one can control… TODAY! I regularly record maxims that I use in training… recently I have written the following “Better Than Yesterday!” – “Today > Yesterday” – and so on… [And I plan to have some shirts/stickers available with these maxims – let me know if interested]

I can’t always control if I am going to be better than someone else, but I can be “Better Than Me!” Each day I can strive to grow…

I can remember times when I faced injuries… if my left leg was hurt, I worked my right leg more… when my right arm was hurt, I became much better using my left… when laid up, there was time to study the game more and get new perspectives… etc. Even though circumstances kept me off the court, I still got better and grew as a player! (And what I have found is that if there is a daily commitment, then eventually not only does one get better as an individual, but also gets better than the opposition who typically doesn’t have such a commitment…)

So, what have you done today to be better than yesterday?

Proverbs 27:1 Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth.

“Take Care Of Today!”

No comments: