Monday, December 26, 2022

December 26, 2023 - Did You See What I Saw?

Did You See What I Saw? (Or Do You Hear What I Hear?) 

I love watching highlight reels of amazing plays… just this morning I watched a great pass fake from Luka Doncic leading to an easy bucket that made the opponent look silly… an amazing, high-flying dunk by Aaron Gordon that was titled “Poster for the Win!”… I love sharing those types of clips with my sports friends…

Recently I was at a college recruiting visit with my daughter Faith and we met a young lady on the team that had been in the number 1 spot on SportsCenter Top 10 list… the coach couldn’t wait to share that with us… and then I had to in turn pull it up and share it with Faith’s HS coaches… friends... family… etc.

The reality is that when something amazes us, we tend to share it with others… At times we watch players just waiting for highlights (i.e., every time Zion Williamson catches the basketball!)

This day after CHRISTmas, take a look at what took place right after the birth of Christ:

The shepherds, who had been given a promise from the angel about the Savior, ran to see the highlight and then the Scripture records: Now when they had seen Him, they made widely known the saying which was told them concerning this Child. And all those who heard it MARVELED at those things which were told them by the shepherds. (Luke 2:17)

They couldn’t wait to share the highlight… then a short time later we hear of another who lived in anticipation of this highlight…

And behold, there was a man in Jerusalem whose name was Simeon, and this man was just and devout, WAITING FOR the Consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him. And it had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not see death before he had seen the Lord’s Christ. (Luke 2:25-26)

This guy lived in anticipation of the highlight to come… and once He met the Savior he stated:

Lord, now you are letting Your servant depart in peace, according to Your word; For my eyes have seen Your salvation which You have prepared before the face of all peoples, a light to bring revelation to the Gentiles, and the glory of Your people Israel. (Luke 2:29-32)

I don’t know how quickly Simeon passed away after this, but do know that he lived out his days in peace… which means confidence and secure in the Lord! And I can only assume that he, like the shepherds, shared this highlight with all he met…

Did you see what I saw? Have you seen the Savior… His birth, His life, His death, His resurrection… have you trusted in that for your salvation?

If so, shouldn’t that amaze you? And if it amazes you, isn’t that a highlight you should share with others? I mentioned that I share sports highlights with sports fans… yet this message, according to Simeon, is BEFORE THE FACE OF ALL PEOPLES.

Here are the lyrics to a great old hymn (and old-timers reading this, I dare you to try to read it without singing it… in parts…)

I Stand Amazed (How Marvelous)

Verse 1:
I stand amazed in the presence
Of Jesus the Nazarene,
And wonder how He could love me,
a sinner, condemned, unclean.

Chorus:
How marvelous! How wonderful
And my song shall ever be
How marvelous! How wonderful!
Is my Savior’s love for me

Verse 2:
He took my sins and my sorrows,
He made them His very own
He bore the burden to Calvary,
And suffered and died alone

Verse 3:
When with the ransomed in glory
His face I at last shall see, ‘
Twill be my joy through the ages
To sing of His love for me

No comments: