Monday, August 7, 2023

August 7, 2023 - The Coach Has Called You Into The Game

Years ago, I was coaching a young girls’ basketball team (5th/6th grade) and had a few girls that had never played before. I remember in the first game I coached them as I turned to one of the girls and asked if she was ready to go in… tears welled up in her eyes and she couldn’t get out any words… I’m sure there was some embarrassment, a lot of fear (of going in and of answering no to me), etc. I immediately let her know that it was ok, and we would send her in when she was willing.

The reality is that the young lady was equipped to go in the game… I wasn’t asking more of her than she had been prepared for in our practices… and during the practices she absolutely felt that she was willing to go in the game when called upon… but when it came time, she initially chose the bench over getting in the game…

This is on my mind after preaching yesterday and dealing with the reality that most Christians say they are “willing” to do what God ask… they will sound spiritual by even quoiting Isaiah, “Here am I; send me…” (Isaiah 6:8) And then they wait for some big extraordinary calling, and then often find excuses to ignore those or reason them away.

Can I just remind us this week that the coach is usually not sending us in the game for something extraordinary… but simply to play our position and help the team. The Coach has called us off the bench… it is not a question of “if” He calls…

We sit under Biblical (Playbook) teaching, not to make us willing, but to make us ready to be working (doing)! The Scriptures are given to make “equipped for every good work.” (2 Timothy 3:17)

Yesterday’s message involved looking at many areas that God has called us off the bench to make a difference in the game… remember the commands are not to be willing to go… but to go!

Cool side note: The young lady mentioned in the start of this game plan eventually went into the game because she had a caring teammate that offered to go in with her… she entered the game and did very well… had a good season… and many years later had completed a high school career that even included a school rebounding record… FIND SOMEONE YOU CAN ENCOURAGE TO GET IN THE GAME! (“And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works.” Hebrews 10:24)

No comments: