Monday, November 13, 2023

November 13, 2023 - The Design of the Game (Part 1: ATTEND WITH ATTENTION!)

I was reminded last night of a game I was in back in high school… it is one I think I have written about in the past during these Game Plans, yet one worthy of using again as an example…

It was the ‘81/’82 season, and we had a game against another small Christian school… we did not have a great team… but neither did they. They were not very athletic… and honestly, not very well coached. Our coach utilized some very simple action off high screens and picks… action which got the opponents in a ton of foul trouble. And their coach, for some reason did not explain to them how to go under or over the pick or screen… leading to many of their players fouling out. They ended up with not enough guys on the court to compete…

You see, In order to compete in a game that was designed to have 5 against 5, it is greatly helpful to be able to put 5 guys on the floor…

You see, I loved suiting up for games… even tough there were times I didn’t like all my teammates a whole lot… some of my teammates were pretty good… some not so good… some thought they were good. There were times I didn't like the style of basketball we were playing or how I was being used as a player… didn’t see eye to eye with my coach… but I loved suiting up for games! And to be a part of a game that was designed for 5v5 action, I was totally dependent on having teammates!

This came to mind while watching the Jesus Revolution movie, and one of the scenes showed “Greg Laurie” sitting outside of the meeting tent by himself… when a reporter from Time Magazine askes him what he is doing out there, “Laurie” responds, “I fell like worshipping alone.” In the story “Laurie” had been hurt and let down by others… wasn’t very happy with his “teammates.”

(Recent surveys show that over 56% of Americans attend church infrequently or never at all. Since the pandemic I have heard many say that they prefer to “worship alone.”)

The reporter responds to “Laurie”: “I’m no expert, but I don’t think that’s how this thing works.”

This thing called Christianity is not designed to be a “solo sport”!

This is part 1 of some Game Plans I’m calling The Design of the Game… so a very basic first reminder is the importance of attending…

Hebrews 10:25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some…

Yet I also want to challenge those that “attend” without attention… a preface to the command to assemble as the team, is the command to “consider one another,” (v 24) a command to be attentive to others and to be the best teammate you can be to them… so if your reason for not suiting up with the team is a complaint about what the team has done for you, maybe a better question is what have you done for the team? DON’T ATTEND WITHOUT ATTENTION!

The ”game” is designed as a team sport!

No comments: