Monday, January 21, 2008

January 21, 2008 - Losing

There are so many life lessons to learn from both winning and losing. This season has been one of major contrast to this point. We have played teams of much greater physical prowess and skill levels – and got our butts kicked. We have played the other extreme as well with teams that were at the lower end of size and skills – and kicked some butt. It has truly been a tale of two extremes.

The schedule was built this way because it was believed that we should have some weaker teams to play to avoid the potential frustrations that would accompany playing the “giants.”

This mentality is based upon a perceived correlation between the scoreboard and success. This is a misconception. Some of the games in which we have won big on the scoreboard have been some of our lesser successes. Yet we took it on the chin by over 30 points last week and I couldn’t have been more proud of my boys.

I had a fan once tell me that we needed to lessen our schedule because we were getting beat so badly. Yet the same fan sat in the stands when we had a nationally ranked team that was winning big. The people flocked to cheer when it was others that were taking it on the chin. It is as though we are too special to be beaten badly.

This will sound strange but I don’t mind losing on the scoreboard. I think it is great for my guys to get to lace them up against big, college-bound players. I think it is fine for them to be “posterized” by a ferocious dunk. I can teach them about life through that. (I don’t think it is fine to go out and not compete to our highest level to win on the scoreboard though!)

I feel I am much more successful in discipling these guys if I get them to handle defeat with grace and class. Anyone can handle victory well.

We are not too special to get our butts whipped on the court or in life! Lose the perception that because we are Christians life owes us something. The Bible is full of instruction on how we grow and mature through “trials.” The Bible is full of instruction on how we should act in the midst of negative situations.


2 My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, 3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. 4 But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. (James 1)

No comments: