Monday, January 28, 2008

January 28, 2008 - Coaching Is Hard!

Coaching is a very difficult task at times, especially when all of your players are present and healthy. To only be able to put 5 guys on the floor when you have 8 deserving of being there is rough. As a coach you are trying to determine whose gifts best fit the need at the time.
I have a young man that played for me a couple of years ago that is now playing major college basketball. He comes off the bench and at times will take over a game. At other times the coach leaves him sitting and I am watching, wondering why he is not getting playing time. Yet he is on a team where every player is a major talent. It has to be rough to coach that group of guys.
In a game tonight I had a couple of guys sitting that typically are my “energy” guys. I had another young man that I put in to give a few minutes break to one of the starters and he played exceptionally well. Yet I had to make choices based upon how I saw the game unfolding.
One thing is for sure! I am on my guys’ side! I will not make a choice unless I feel it is best for the team. In tonight’s game it allowed us to end up with a win, insuring we will have at least a .500 record for the regular season. Even if we would have lost the game I still simply chose to do what I thought was best for the team at the time.
In life it is easy to fall into the trap of wondering why God allows certain things to happen. It is easyt o get a defeatist mentality when things aren’t going our way – when we seem to” lose a game.” Can I remind you that God is on our side? Can I remind you that “all things work together for good for those that love the Lord and are called according to His purpose”? (Romans 8:28)
Life may seem bleak at times but God knows what He is doing and will “play” you in the right places of the “game.” Peace comes from fully trusting Him in every circumstance. God is bigger than life!
Think about guys like Joseph that had a life full of frustrations yet fully trusted God and “won” in the end!

No comments: