Monday, August 11, 2008

August 11, 2008 - No Way met No quit

Did you happen to watch the Men’s 4x100 Freestyle Swimming Relay on Sunday night? It was the stuff that dreams are made of! It was what the Olympics are all about - full of drama and national pride.

The French team had made bold predictions that they would “smash” the Americans in this event. (Which also would have smashed the hopes of Michael Phelps to win 8 “golds” at this Olympics.) The French prediction was obviously well publicized so each American viewer had some national pride at stake.

The Americans started very strong only to see the French take control midway through the race. As the final leg started, the French had a comfortable lead with their strongest swimmer at anchor. And the reason they were so bold with their predictions is that they are amazing swimmers.

Halfway through the final leg the American swimmer (Jason Lezak) was still well behind. In interviews he admitted a brief moment of feeling defeat. Yet then he thought about why he was there. "I changed," he said. "I thought, 'That's ridiculous. I'm at the Olympic Games, I'm here for the United States of America. I don't care how bad it hurts, I'm going after it.’”

One reporter worded it this way – “No way met no quit.” (Pat Forde / espn.com)

The rest is history as the American team edged out the brash talking by 8 one-hundreths of a second. I must admit that I was screaming, arms raised, pounding the arms of my chair – you get the picture. (Of course my wife and son were also celebrating.)

I am writing this and most of you probably saw this happen – or at least have already read or heard about it. Yet the event came at a time where I have been focusing a lot on “excellence” in our Christian lives. I have studied and preached about it recently.

Biblically I see excellence as the ability to not have our attitudes dictated by circumstances. It is a rising above circumstances with a life that is characterized by the fruit of the Spirit. It is a life that will at times be “behind in the race” yet will realize the “race” is not over. (In fact we even no the outcome of the “race” for believers. We win!)

I want a life that is characterized by the phrase that Pat Ford wrote. I want a life where “no way” meets “no quit.”

58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord. (1 Corinthians 15)

Study Paul’s letter to the Philippians where he describes his approach to life.

12 Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. 13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, 14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 3)

No comments: