Monday, November 3, 2008

November 3, 2008 - Preparation and Scouting

I recently read about the assistant coaches for a major university basketball program and what their “jobs” are. There is a huge emphasis on scouting opponents and knowing their tendencies. I can remember speaking to a friend that was playing division 1 ball and he told me that the coaches had it figured to the percentage points how often a player would go left vs right, to the hole vs pulling up for the jumper, etc. These coaches (and ultimately the players) spend a lot of time look at things from the opponent’s view point.

I often mention John Wooden in my devotions, partly because of his great testimony and partly because of his great success as a coach. As I was thinking through this idea of scouting I was reminded of something the coach said that surprised me.

“I seldom mention the other team. I believe it takes away from the concentration on ourselves in the preparation. I did less scouting than any other coach I’ve ever heard about. I wanted our team to concentrate on what we could do – namely, try to execute our style of play to the best of our abilities.” (From the book: Wooden; p. 120)

I have been very concerned with how little time our “team” called Christianity spends studying our “playbook” and what our “style of play” should be. We spend much more time with our noses in the opponents’ game plan. Some times it is to point out what they are doing wrong (because that is easier than focusing on ourselves.) Some times it is simply being entertained by them (and we wonder why we emulate them in our actions – duh! – we spend more time in their “playbook” – tv, internet, movies, music, etc.)

Yesterday my pastor mentioned three letters – NES. He said that we spend way too much time on things with No Eternal Significance.

Where is your time spent? Becoming the best you can be at “our game” or focusing on the opponent? I am with Coach Wooden on this one. Oh and also with the Apostle Paul under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.

1 comment:

moxie said...

This reminds me that we should also be mindful of our focus when we are doing work within the church. Are we focused on Him and His agenda? Are we serving Him with the heart of a servant?