Monday, November 10, 2008

Novemebr 10, 2008 - Smooth Offense

With the start up of basketball season I must admit that I am feeling a bit empty inside with not coaching this year. I find myself very curious how my former team is doing, checking on former players that have moved on to the college ranks or other high schools, etc. I think about coaches trying to get their philosophies across to teams. I watch games and see how frustrating it is to see players get it for a few minutes and then seemingly just fall apart.

I was watching the University of Memphis’ exhibition game last week and Coach Cal looked distraught at times. He has such a talented team yet at times they just were not getting it. I have mentioned before that their offensive philosophy is one that is difficult for players to learn. They play what is called a “dribble drive” offense. Basically is not a set of plays to memorize but instead a style of how to play the game.

Within any philosophy – whether it be the dribble drive or set plays - the idea is to get good shots. I am a coach that has always allowed players to have freedom shooting the ball. What I have always tried to do is teach them to find shots within their range and capability.

In our “game” of life God instructs us to set up for “good shots” as well. As the church we should always strive to speak with wisdom and grace; by doing so we set up “open shots” for the Gospel.

5 Walk in wisdom toward those who are outside, redeeming the time. 6 Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one. (Colossians 4)

Some practical helps I have learned over the years in this area include:

1. Never witness to a stranger! That does not mean to avoid street witnessing and the such. What it means is to break down walls with a smile, a friendly opening, etc.
2. Don’t argue – (even when using an argument)! Say what? I have often taught on the subject of apologetics. (That is not the art of apologizing.) Apologetics are simply defense arguments, or proofs, of the reality of God, the authenticity of the Scriptures, etc. The purpose of using these is to get “open shots’ – not to win a debate.
3. Memorize Scripture! God’s Word is living and able to do more than our words ever will.
4. Take simple shots! We don’t need to add to the Gospel. In practices I have players work on high percentage shots. In sharing the Gospel I want the same. The Gospel itself is the “power of God unto salvation” (Romans 1:16); therefore I don’t need to add to it. 1 Corinthians 15: 3-4 give Paul’s take on this matter:
3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures,

Let’s get our offense flowing smoothly and reach some people for Christ!

No comments: