Monday, December 8, 2008

December 8, 2008 - A Whole New Ballgame

As I read an article yesterday I was reminded of how intense the college basketball scene can be. The player was talking about how the coach was so nice during the recruiting process but when it came time to lace them up the coach became an entirely different person. Basically the player said that the coach is riding them all the time to get better and to give maximum effort. The player talked of how much harder it had become at the major college level, even in practices. He stated that you can never take a play off. Basically he realized it is a whole new ballgame.

I thought about my time coaching the sidelines and how vocal I was. I constantly felt the need to be encouraging, directing, correcting, or whatever was needed for my players. I seldom sat down and just shut up. I guess I was somewhat the opposite of the great coach John Wooden who said that he did his coaching in practices and then somewhat sat back in games. I guess I didn’t trust my ability to get it all across in practices.

The thing that came to my mind is how “wisdom” is personified in the Proverbs. “She” is regularly “calling out” for us to listen to what God has to say. (See Proverbs 8 and 9) I Guess I picture her running up and down life’s sidelines, coaching us along.

I think of the work of the Holy Spirit leading and guiding us, convicting us, etc. (John 16:13)

And I am reminded that we cannot afford to “take a play off” in this world we live in. We have an enemy that is always after us. (See 1 Peter 5:8-9) The intensity of the “game” of life is ever increasing.

Make sure you are listening to “wisdom” from God’s Playbook! “See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil.” (Ephesians 5 15)

No comments: