Monday, February 23, 2009

February 23, 2009 - Let Those Guys Play

Last night Coach Torzewski and I were on the phone discussing outreach opportunities; not only for InBounds Ministries but just in the church in general. As we talked of the need for the church to be more outreach oriented the following picture came into my mind:

Imagine with me an intense game going on. As you look at the players on the floor they are giving it their all – drenched in sweat – breathing heavily. Then you look down the bench of your team and see players that are cheering wildly and as the game draws toward the end some are even sitting with interlocked arms showing unity. Then something strange happens. The coach walks over to one of the players on the bench and tells him to go in; to which the player replies “No Coach, I’m doing my part over hear cheering and showing unity. Let those guys play.”

We live in a society where the average Christian is simply a “benchwarmer” – content to sit on the “bench” (pew) and “cheer on” the “team.” This may be done though the “wave” of the offering plate going by and each one dropping in some money. It may be through the “show of unity” as they sit with interlocked hands in prayer. And although each of those things is vitally important, most “players” are refusing the “Coach’s” call to “get in the game!”

Please hear me straight on this one. As the coach at InBounds I am so thankful for the support of the “bench.” We need your “cheering” via encouragement and dollars given; we need the unity found in prayer. Yet I feel I would be remiss as a coach if I did not also encourage you to “get in the game!” You need to be serving in ministry through your local church and through local, national, and international mission opportunities. You need to view your daily schedule as a mission-field opportunity.

I wrote a few months ago about the phrase I used with a local pastor: “Life is a mission-trip!”

Mark 16:15 And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.

1 Corinthians 15:58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.

1 Corinthians 15: 58With all this going for us, my dear, dear friends, stand your ground. And don't hold back. Throw yourselves into the work of the Master, confident that nothing you do for him is a waste of time or effort.
(The Message)

1 comment:

oscar olivarez said...

Right on my friend and dear brother. I am so excited that you are doing your best to follow God's plan for reaching souls for Him. It is interesting that you mintion the importance of every believer to get involved in game of soul winning.