Monday, February 9, 2009

February 9, 2009 - Godly Swagger

I just finished re-reading a book I have that deals with playing with confidence. The idea of the book deals with players getting to that point where they walk onto a floor in (game mode) ready to play. It is the thing that gives players a certain swagger - something I believe every successful player must have!

I’m not talking about cockiness and being a jerk. I am talking about the confidence that comes from hard work, dedication, and preparation. The attitude of a player is often the difference in good players and great players. It is often the difference between just having a good season verses winning the championship. (Side note: wearing Old Spice will not give you this swagger!)

Think about it. All players will have some fear and doubts, especially before big games. Yet the player that has put in the time and effort to become his best will trust that it will pay off. Because of the preparation he will feel like he “belongs” in the big game.

I love a quote I saw from Henry Ford. He said: “Whether you think you can or you can’t you’re probably right.”

As believers I think we spend way too little time praying and way too little time serving our Lord. The big problem I run into in counseling is people that feel unworthy, like they don’t belong.

Let me give some counsel to you if you fall into this camp. You are not worthy! But Christ is! I can boldly approach God’s throne in prayer – not because of what I have done – but because of who my advocate is! Hebrews 4 says:

15 For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

I can dig into His Playbook in preparation for “the game of life” and find wisdom because of His promise to me. Yes I can boldly – with confidence – seek God’s wisdom.

James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. 6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. 7 For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; 8 he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.

I can serve – “play the game” – with confidence knowing He is with me!

Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.

I can be strengthened from within by the Holy Spirit!

Ephesians 3:16 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, 17 that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith;

Christian, you can walk into the “game of life” with confidence – a swagger!

(Yet remember it is because of what He has done and will do in you – not because of what you have and will do for Him. When your confidence is in yourself you will be like the Pharisees and become a cocky self righteous jerk.)

Let’s live life with a Godly Swagger! The Holy Spirit is in us! Christ is with us! The Father has told us to ask Him for help!

1 comment:

joy schwenk said...

Wow this really spoke to me! Thanks for once again making that little light bulb click in my head!