Friday, May 15, 2009

May 18, 2009 - That Was An Ugly Shot!

Often times players can be heard rating a shot. They will yell things like, “That was pretty!” Or things like, “That was ugly!” My response as a coach/instructor/player is that the box score doesn’t record pretty and ugly – just if it went in!

A few years ago I preached a funeral for a very dear friend. He was a young man that had lived hard. As I looked at the crowd gathered to mourn the loss I explained to them that I believed my friend is in Heaven. I then added in, “But let’s not kid ourselves, he doesn’t deserve to be. You know how he lived.” That may seem very harsh, yet true. And it was an incredible way to share the beautiful truth that salvation is found in the finished work of Christ – not how “pretty” we live. This young man understood his need for a Savior and believed on the Lord Jesus Christ to be saved.

A few months ago I preached a funeral for an old man. He was very dear to me and had lived a life of serving the Lord. As I looked at the crowd gathered to mourn the loss I explained to them that I believed my friend is in Heaven. I then added in, “He would want you to know that he doesn’t deserve to be.” This man had lived what most would consider a “pretty” life – yet not a perfect life. This old man understood his need for a Savior and believed on the Lord Jesus Christ to be saved.

Heaven’s box score didn’t record pretty and ugly for these guys’ salvation – just if they went in – based upon the righteousness of Jesus Christ!

21 For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. (2 Corinthians 5)

No comments: