Sunday, June 14, 2009

June 15, 2009 - Shooting At The Wrong Goal

I am often troubled by how confused people are. I think back to a game in middle school where a player went in for the other team and shot at our goal. He sincerely thought he was doing the right thing and made a nice shot. Yet the score was not credited to him in the box score – it would have been credited to the closest player on our team to the play. The issue is not how good of a shot one takes. It is not how sincere the thought was. The issue is what team a person is on that determines where and how one can score.

As my missionary travels lead me to people all over the world I see the same problems. People are sincerely trying to “score enough points” to please God – it is called religion. Yet it doesn’t matter how good their shots are if they are on the wrong team. In fact the “scoring” of good works is not the issue at all – it is all in what jersey one is wearing. Don’t get me wrong, I love “scoring” and believe it brings rewards – yet only for those already on the winning team of Christ.

I am prepping for a trip to London to share this Christ with Muslims. These are people that have some similarities with us. They believe in one God. They believe that all man is sinful. They believe that Jesus is the eternal prophet. Yet they also believe they have to earn their way onto the team according to the teachings of Mohammed. They are devoutly religious – yet greatly deceived.

I love to share the story of our wonderful Substitute – the Savior Jesus Christ. In reality He is not just a Substitute but was traded for us so we could change teams.

2 Corinthians 5: 21 For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

No comments: