Monday, July 13, 2009

July 13, 2009 - So what do you think of ...?

So what do you think of Josh Powell as a player? What about Didier Ilunga-Mbenga or Sun Yue? What about Jason Thompson? Cartier Martin? Roko Ukic? Mike Wilks? And my list could go on and on. These guys are some of the greatest basketball players in the world yet you may not have recognized any of the names on the list. All play in the NBA, and the first 3 are members of the championship Lakers.

These guys all have to be great to be lacing them up in “The League.” Yet sitting at the end of the bench does not bring much notoriety. And although I am sure they don’t mind getting their paychecks, I also know it has to gnaw at them to be sitting while the action is going on.

Many in the church are simply being benchwarmers – and I don’t mean while sitting in a pew – I mean in life. The fact is most are content to simply go through their lives not caring if anyone notices what “team” they are on. The church body has often bought into the philosophy that says “who cares what people think.”

Scripturally we should care what people think. Our testimonies are of great importance and not just from the standpoint of what we don’t do. Sure it is important to not be getting drunk, cheating, lying, etc. Those types of things kill one’s testimony. Yet it is just as important to be of good reputation concerning the positives. People should see a hope in us. People should hear us proclaim God’s goodness. People need to see us “playing in the game.”

There is a new Matthew West song I love that simply says, “I don’t wanna go through the motions; I don’t wanna go one more day; without Your all-consuming passion inside of me; I don’t wanna spend my whole life asking ‘What if I had given everything?’ instead of going through the motions.”

It is time to get busy Christian! People need to know who you are and ultimately who He is!

1 Peter 3: 15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear;

1 Timothy 3:7 Moreover he must have a good testimony among those who are outside, lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.


I love the old question that is asked: if you were on trial for being a Christian would there be enough evidence to convict you?

No comments: